Friday, January 20, 2012

Taxing the Rich in America

http://www.economist.com/node/21543165


This article talks about how the presidential elects will deal with the taxes in America. Obama plans on raising the taxes of the top 2 percent and leaving all other tax brackets the same. I think that this could work for the US except he does not plan on stopping some of the government spending. I do not think that the US can expect to get back on track with out raising some of the taxes as well as cut the spending. Romney and other republicans plan on not adjusting the taxes but plan on cutting spending. Do you think that raising taxes or cutting spending is a better technique

6 comments:

  1. I dont know how well this will work. I dont think Obama will be able to raise the taxes on the top 2% of Americans without there being some kind of consequence/uproar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mike. Taxing only the top two % of Americans may upset them to the point of some sort of protest. However, it may be a realistic thing to expect. I expect something may change in Obama's policies as we inch closer to next November.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that taxes across the board are high enough and should not be raised. If we just cut useless spending that would probably solve the problem and get the economy back on track. However, that is extremely hard to do with a republican house and a democratic senate and president. This is a very, very difficult issue to fix and I am not confident that people in Washington can get it done in a timely manner. It is not going to be pretty in the Capital building in the next couple years. I know its a pessimistic view but with the way things are going it seems like the most realistic view.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that taxes shouldn't be raised. I agree with Jon that we need to cut back useless spending. I think that there are many areas where we could cut significant spending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with nick. I don't think taxes need to be raised as badly as spending needs to be decreased

    ReplyDelete
  6. "History shows that deficit reduction works best when most of the burden falls on spending cuts." Taking this into account from the article it would make the most sense to cut spending. Obviously taxing the rich could help but the most important thing to do is to focus our efforts on cutting down the spending. If taxes are raised it needs to be a marginal raise for all and with the way things are now people might now be able to afford too much more of an increase.

    ReplyDelete